Monday, October 7, 2013

Pink Is Not The New Orange...Or Is it?

October should be filled with  pumpkins, scarecrows, black cats, harvest moons, hay rides, orange and black...but it's not completely.  Pink ribbons are taking over.  I'm confused by this.  It's a seasonal decorator's paradise. Pink ribbons do NOT match the fall wreath, scarecrows, and the hay outside on my porch, nor does it match my pumpkin décor on my fireplace. (I'm thinking April would have been a great month for BA.  Pink ribbons would go so nicely with spring colors.)

 

Look at those pics!  They DON'T go together!   I was sent in a decorating frenzy.  People would expect me to acknowledge "the" ribbon, but I just really want to put all my fall décor out and not really think about the color pink. Why??? Because the color pink, that pink ribbon, those Susan G. Komen commercials, the pink yogurt tops, high school pink out shirts, the NFL pink shoes, darn near send me to my knees each time I see them.  I was looking at a can of pink ribbon'd biscuits at Walmart on Sunday and started crying.  I LIVE the color pink! It is my life day in and day out, not just in October!

I'm frustrated that pink has invaded my fun filled, football, harvest smelling candle burning, and trick or treatin' October.   ~Or maybe I will "go all counselor on ya" and boldly admit that maybe I'm just frustrated that pink has invaded my life....  

This doesn't mean that I don't love or appreciate all the pink in this month.  It doesn't mean that I'm not grateful for all the $$$ that is donated to breast cancer research.  Doesn't mean that I won't enjoy or I don't look forward to all the survivor luncheons I get to attend. Doesn't mean that I don't love talking about breast cancer to my friends.  Sure doesn't mean I'm going to stop telling my story!

I'm thankful that the rest of the non breast cancer people, in the US, get a glimpse of how serious this disease is and how early detection can save lives. However, for me at this very weak moment, I just want to enjoy pumpkins, scarecrows, hay rides, black cats, costumes, and fall festivals again...


Hugs, (and many scarecrows wearing pink ribbons;)
Amy






1 comment:

  1. I agree. It should be April. Does not fit October at all and honestly some of the pink products do not promote healthy living and cancer prevention. I don't like the confusion it causes. In some ways I think it's ruined October for me and that's my birthday month. Instead of enjoying the Fall I have to be constantly reminded of pink ribbons, which frankly is all year anyhow. It's too much saley tactics instead of spreading the truth.

    ReplyDelete